Monday 18 January 2016

Bullying and trauma, it is not your imagination!

Trauma the effects.

PTSD is a whole-body tragedy, an integral human event of enormous proportions with massive repercussions.” 
― Susan Pease Banitt

Are you feeling the symptoms (listed below) after a prolonged episode of bullying at work? We believe that harrasment, stalking, domestic violence, violence, witnessing a horrific event, link to similar experiences suffered by bullied individuals. In our campaign we lament any real political commitment to place bullying on the chart of abuse but we live in hope.....

We are not experts but are convinced in our reading on the subject that  trauma is still a little recognised and validated consequence of bullying. The subject of the bullying may themselves not  even recognise that their feelings are the real result of the bullying and be astounded that they feel so hopeless and flat.


I myself felt after my experiences, upon returning to work, and during and after the bullying, that I exhibited and continue to exhibit several of the symptoms below. I still wait for my workplace to send me for the occupational health evalutation I requested so that I can find out for myself why I feel so devastated by my experiences. I have been fortunate that my counsellor certainly named 'trauma' as what I was feeling.

Bullyonline.org is the only site we can find that really goes into the subject in any depth in relation to bullying. The book, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, by David Kinchin is still available on Amazon and appears to be one of the first books to link bullying to PTSD.

We are on the look out for links and reading material on this subject and/or any experts who would like to contribute a more thorough explanation of trauma and bullying. We welcome your comments.

Do you recognise any of these:
  • sleep problems, nightmares, waking early
  • flashbacks and replays which you can't switch off
  • impaired memory and forgetfulness
  • inability to concentrate
  • hypervigilance (feels like but is not paranoia)
  • exaggerated startle response
  • irritability, sudden intense anger, occasional violent outbursts
  • panic attacks
  • hypersensitivity - almost every remark is perceived as critical
  • obsessiveness - the experience takes over your life, you can't get it out of your mind
  • joint and muscle pains, with no obvious cause
  • feelings of nervousness and anxiety
  • depression (reactive, not endogenous)
  • excessive shame, embarrassment, and guilt
  • undue fear
  • low self-esteem and low self-confidence
  • emotional numbness (inability to feel joy or love)
  • sense of detachment
  • avoidance of anything that reminds you of the experience
  • physical and mental paralysis at any reminder of the experience
    Image Pixabay.com public domain

No comments:

Post a Comment